The Watchman's Cry  

Go Back   The Watchman's Cry > Fellowship Hall > Biblical Matters

Old 12-03-2015, 04:10 PM

Default The Sweet Psalmist

Introduction:

This book is written from David the king of Israel point of view. It was written to try to get into the way it may have been like living as David and feeling the feelings that he felt when going through what he went through. The Psalms are written into the story and put in places that they may have been written. Not all the psalms say what time the psalm was written. But some do say, the others, by reading them, I tried to put them where they seemed to me to fit. Hope that you enjoy this as much as I have. Blessings.

The Sweet Psalmist
All on one thread!

http://www.watchmanscryforum.com/for...ad.php?t=30741

Last edited by Serena; 12-03-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:10 PM

Chapter 1
Beginning Years
1 Samuel 16:11-23

I, David the son of Jesse, live in Bethlehem. Here on the field I tend my father’s sheep and from field to field I go to bring them to a new pasture. Today, I am watching the sheep on a hill in a pasture north of my home. The day is sunny and the wind is soft on my face as I sit against a tree. I am playing my harp and the sheep seem calm and relaxed. Here I can meditate on God’s Word. It is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

I sing, Psalm 1 “Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in his law does he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings his fruit in his season. His leaf will not wither, and whatsoever he does shall prosper. The ungodly are not so, but are like the chaff which the wind drives away. Therefore, the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous. For the Lord knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the ungodly shall perish.”

I look across the horizon and see my oldest brother, Eliab, coming. What could he want? He doesn’t come out to the fields, so something must be up. I grab my harp and shepherds staff. After racing to my brother I anxiously ask, “What’s happening.” 1 Samuel 16:11 David is fetched.

Eliab turns around as he speaks sharply, “David, father has sent for you.”

“I’m coming.”

I follow Eliab, and the sheep follow me. As I walk I wonder what could be so important that I am called in from the fields. Did something happen? Is someone hurt? Did I do something? The other day I lost a lamb but I did go back and find it. It was in a ditch, and I brought it back and nursed its wounds. It must have wandered off. I don’t think I am in trouble for that. What could it be? Maybe that lamb is left behind in the stalls, sick and dying. Maybe I’d better stop this thinking and just trust in the Lord.

Back at the stalls I open the gate as the sheep head in. Eliab instructs, “David, I am going on, meet us on the hill south of town.”

I watched Eliab as he hurries away. What can it be? I’ll just have to wait and see. After the sheep are all in the pen, I race to the hill Eliab told me about.

I can feel my face flush from racing as I enter the crowd. The whole town is here! I search for my family and find my dad, Jesse, and all of my seven older brothers on the other side of the crowd. I go over to my brothers and whisper, “Abinadab, isn’t that Samuel the prophet who anointed Saul king of Israel?”

Abinadab, the second oldest, answers flatly, “Yes.”

“What is he doing talking to father?” 1st Samuel 16:12-13 David anointed to be the next king.
Abinadab shrugs, “Samuel said that he came to sacrifice to the Lord.”

Suddenly I feel oil on my head. I can smell that it is olive oil, it is wet and somewhat sticky. I know this is a honor.

Samuel whispers into my ear, “The Lord has anointed you king of Israel.”

I am in shock. Me, a lowly shepherd boy, the next king of Israel? Am I dreaming? Israel already has Saul as their king. How is this going to happen? The Lord will have to take care of this.

Eliab snaps, “David! David! Sit down.”

I come out of my daze to see everyone is sitting down at the table to eat so I sit down next to my brothers.

After eating a lamb feast everything went back to same routine. Samuel went back to Ramah. I went back to the sheep. I am a shepherd boy am lowliest of all the people, and Samuel anointed me and God appointed me king. But I am still in the fields watching the sheep.

I sing, Psalm 95 “O come, let us sing to the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation. Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving and make a joyful noise to him with psalms. For the Lord is a great God, and a great King above all gods. In his hand are the deep places of the earth; the strength of the hills is his also. The sea is his, and he made it; his hands formed the dry land. O come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before the Lord our Maker. For he is our God, and we are the people of his pasture and the sheep of his hand. Today if ye will hear his voice, harden not your heart as in the provocation and as in the day of temptation in the wilderness, when your Fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my work. Forty long years was I grieved with this generation and said, "It is a people who err in their heart, and they have not known my ways, unto whom I swore in my anger that they should not enter into my rest.”

Soon I come home and find two soldiers in my fathers home. I Samuel 16:14-23

My father announces, “This is David my youngest son.”

One soldier asks, “You are good with the harp?”

“I can play.”

The soldier commands, “Come with me. King Saul needs you to play the harp and sooth his spirit.”

My father orders, “David, take this to the king. It is food and wine.”

“Yes father.”

I take the bags and leave my shepherd staff and grab my harp as we all go out the door.

The soldiers jump up on their horses, and I slide on my donkey. The soldiers lead the way, and I follow.

The king needs me to play the harp. What is God doing? I know I must trust in the Lord. See where He leads me.

At Saul’s tent he is in his chair. His sad countenance shows, as he stares at the tent walls.

I bow before him and then sit on the other side of the tent. I play the harp and sing, Psalm 136 “Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his mercy endures forever. Oh, give thanks to the God of gods, for his mercy endures forever. Oh, give thanks to the Lord of lords, for his mercy endures forever. To him who alone does great wonders, for his mercy endures forever. To him who by wisdom made the heavens, for his mercy endures forever. To him who stretched out the earth above the waters, for his mercy endures forever. To him who made the great lights, for his mercy endures forever. The sun to rule the day, for his mercy endures forever. The moon and stars to rule by night, for his mercy endures forever. To him that struck Egypt in their first born, for his mercy endures forever. And brought Israel out from among them, for his mercy endures forever. With a strong hand and with a stretched out arm, for his mercy endures forever. To him which divided the Red Sea into parts, for his mercy endures forever. And made Israel to pass through the midst of it, for his mercy endures forever. But overthrew Pharaoh and his host in the Red Sea, for his mercy endures forever. To him which led his people through the wilderness, for his mercy endures forever. To him which smote great kings, for his mercy endures forever. And slew famous kings, for his mercy endures forever. Sihon king of the Amorites, for his mercy endures forever. And Og the king of Bashan, for his mercy endures forever. And gave their land for an heritage, for his mercy endures forever. Who remembered us in our low estate, for his mercy endures forever. And hath redeemed us for our enemies, for his mercy endures forever. Who gives food to all flesh, for his mercy endures forever. Oh, give thanks unto the God of heaven, for his mercy endures forever.”

The music fills the air, and as I play I see Saul’s countenance change. When I am done , Saul smiles as he rises from his chair. When he stands I see how tall Saul is. I also rise to my feet, for one must not remain sitting if the king stands.

Saul announces, “I want you to stay and be my armor bearer.”

I bow and answer, “As you wish.”

I go home and still come back to help Saul, I see how he works. I work with Saul on a part-time basis, for I also keep helping my father with the sheep. Every time Saul has a tormenting spirit, I play the harp. He always feel better. Then he is able to return to his duties.

The Sweet Psalmist
All on one thread!

Last edited by Serena; 12-03-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:11 PM

Chapter 2
The Giant
1 Samuel 17:-18-54

I am in the field watching the sheep graze as I sing, Psalm 147 “ Praise the Lord, for it is good to sing praises to our God, for it is pleasant, and praise is comely. The Lord builds up Jerusalem; he gathers together the outcasts of Israel. He heals the broken in heart and binds up their wounds. He tells the number of the stars, and he calls them all by their name. Great is our Lord, and of great power; his understanding is infinite. The Lord lifts up the meek; he casts the wicked down to the ground. Sing unto the Lord with thanksgiving; sing praise upon the harp to our God. Who covers the heaven with clouds, who prepares rain for the earth, who makes grass to grow upon the mountains. He gives to the beast his food, and to the young ravens which cry. He delights not in the strength of the horse; he takes not pleasure in the legs of a man. The Lord takes pleasure in them who fear him, in those who hope in his mercy. Praise the Lord, oh Jerusalem; praise your God, oh Zion. For he hath strengthened the bars of your gates; he blesses your children within you. He makes peace in your borders and fills you with the finest of the wheat. He sends forth his commandment upon earth; his word runs very swiftly. He gives snow like wool; he scatters the hoarfrost like ashes. He casts forth his ice like morsels; who can stand before his cold? He sends out his word and melts them; he causes his wind to blow and the waters to flow. He shows his word to Jacob, his statutes and his judgments to Israel. He hath not dealt so with any nation, and as for his judgments, they have not known them. Praise ye the Lord.”

I stop playing and look up to see my father with a donkey carrying two sacks. “Does the king need me to sing again?”

My father answers, “I know that you have been called back time after time. But not today. I want you to go see how your brothers are doing and how the battle goes. Also give them the bushel of grain and the ten loaves. The cheese is for the captain. I know how he loves it.”

“I will, father.”

I give my father the staff and club, and I leave with the donkey. When I arrive the men are jumpy, and acting afraid. I leave my luggage with the baggage officer and run to find my brothers. What is going on? They don’t usually act like this, they are warriors! I find my brothers arguing together. I run up to them, and they stop talking and look at me.

Eliab asks, “What are you doing here?”

“I brought grain and bread for you.”

Shimeah says, “Where is it?”

I reply, “With the baggage officer.”

Suddenly I hear a loud, booming voice. I look across the valley. There stands a giant, over nine feet tall, stands boasting. He is wearing a bronze helmet, a very heavy coat of mail, and bronze leggings, and carrying in his over-sized hand a bronze javelin several inches thick. In front of him stands his armor bearer with a huge shield.

The giant shouts, “Do you need a whole army to settle this? I will represent the Philistines and you choose someone to represent you, and we will settle this in a single combat. If your man is able to kill me, then we will be your slaves. But if I kill him, you must be our slaves. I defy the armies of Israel! Send me a man who will fight with me!” 1 Samuel 17:8-10

I turn to talk to my brothers, but find that they are not there. Where are they? In fact I see that no one is out, they have all fled to their tents. I start searching for my brothers and find them in their tent. I stand by a soldier who is about to give an announcement. As I walk up to my brothers, the soldier opens his mouth and speaks, “Have you seen the giant? He has insulted the entire army of Israel, and have you heard about the huge reward the king has offered to anyone who kills him? The King will give him one of his daughters for a wife, and his whole family will be exempt from paying taxes!”

Eliab states, “That giant has been insulting us for forty days. Not one person has gone up against him.”

Solider replies, “Who would? You saw the size of him.”

“That giant has four brothers in the Philistine army and they are huge too.”2 Samuel 21:15-22

I just had to verify the report so I ask another solider, “What will a man get for killing this Philistine and ending his insults to Israel? Who is this heathen Philistine, anyway, that he is allowed to defy the armies of the living God.”

1 Samuel 17:26-27
The soldier answers, “The king will give him one of his daughters for a wife, and his whole family will be exempt from paying taxes.”

My eldest brother Eliab grabs me by the shoulder and looks sternly into my eyes, and demands, “What are you doing around here? What about the sheep you’re supposed to be taking care of? I know what a cocky brat you are; you just want to see the battle.”

“What have I done? I was only asking a question.” 1 Samuel 17:29

I walk away from Eliab and find another solider. I ask, “What happens to the man who kills this heathen Philistine?”

The soldier answers, “He gets to be son-in-law to the king, and no more taxes for his family.”

“Then why is no one going against him? He has defied the armies of the living God.”

“Their too scared. Can’t you see it?”

“We have the Lord God on our side. Why should we be afraid?”

The solider laughs, “What are you going to do? Go out and fight him yourself.”

“If no one else will, I will. God should not be mocked.”

The soldier laughs, “Like you’re going to go out against Goliath.”

Suddenly I feel a hand on my shoulder, as I turn around as I think Eliab is bothering me again. I swing around and angrily and speak, “Eliab, get off my . . . back.” I trail off when I find that it is not Eliab, but Abner the general for the armies for king Saul. I quickly repent, “Sorry, I thought that you were my brother.”

Abner states, “I am Abner, the general of the armies for Saul. Saul wants to see you.”

I nod and follow Abner out of the tent. . . Wondering.

At Saul’s tent, he is seated in his chair. I come in and bow before the king, as I always do.

Saul sees me and his eyes light up as he exclaims, “The harp boy!”

Abner remarks, “This is the boy we were talking about.”

“What’s you name?”

I answer, “David.”

“David, I hear that you have been asking questions about Goliath the Philistine.”

Knowing God’s protection, I reply, “Don’t worry about a thing. I’ll take care of this Philistine.” 1 Samuel 17:32

Saul shakes his head and lifts his hands as he insists, “Don’t be ridiculous! How can a child like you fight with a man like him? You are only a boy and he has been in the army since he was a mere boy!” 1 Samuel 17:33

I remember my past, so I persist, “When I am taking care of my fathers sheep, and a lion or a bear comes and grabs a lamb from the flock. I go after it, with a club and take the lamb from it’s mouth. If it turns on me I catch it by the jaw and club it to death. I have done this to both lions and bears, and I”ll do it to this heathen Philistine too, for he had defied the armies of the living God. The Lord who saved me from the claws and teeth of the lion and bear will save me from this Philistine.” 1 Samuel 17:34-37

Saul finally consents, “All right, go ahead, and may the Lord be with you. Now, come with me.”

1Samuel 17:37
I watch as Saul stands up, and goes to his armor. He lifts it up, and puts it on me. I stand there with this armor that is heavy on and feel the weight that I would carry. I have never wore such a thing before. I didn’t wear it when I fought the lion or the bear and I don’t need it now. The sword is hanging on me and don’t feel right.

I exclaim, “I can’t wear this. I have not proved them!” 1 Samuel 17:39 Then I take off Saul’s armor and leave the tent.

At the stream, I grab five smooth stones and put them in my shepherd’s bag. I sing, Psalm 121 “I will lift up my eyes unto the hills, from where my help comes. My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. He will not suffer my foot to be moved; he who keeps me will not slumber. Behold, he who keeps Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord is my keeper; the Lord is the shade upon my right hand. The sun will not smite me by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord shall preserve me from all evil; he shall preserve my soul. The Lord shall preserve my going out and my coming in from this time forth, and even forever more.”

On the field I walk toward Goliath who is standing proudly. All I have is my shepherds staff and sling. Goliath walks toward me with his shield bearer ahead of him. Goliath is furious, and contempt is evident on his face.

Goliath roars, “Am I a dog, that you come at me with a stick? I curse your gods. Come over here and I’ll give your flesh to the birds and wild animals.”

1 Samuel 17:43-44
I hate him speaking like that against the living God, and I shout back, “You come to me with a sword and a spear, but I come to you in the name of the Lord of the armies of heaven and of Israel the very God whom you have defied. Today the Lord will conquer you and I will kill you and cut off your head. Then I will give the dead bodies of your men to the birds and wild animals, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel! And Israel will learn that the Lord does not depend on weapons to fulfill his plans. He works without regard to human means! He will give you to us!” 1 Samuel 17:45-47

I grab my stone in my bag and put it into the sling. I swing the sling as I run toward Goliath. Goliath starts walking toward me with his sword raised. I fling the stone straight at Goliath and I do not stop running at him. The stone sinks deep into his forehead. I kept running at him as he falls face down to the ground. When I tower over him I take his own sword and raise it above him. Quickly I kill Goliath by cutting off his head. I know Israel needs to be sure that he is dead, for they are so afraid. So I grab Goliath’s hair and lift his head above me for all to see. I look back at the Israel army, and I can see the surprise on their faces. Then they all shout as they run with their weapons to fight the Philistines. I wrap Goliath’s head up in a cloth and take it back to the Israel army camp.

Abner quickly walks up to me and states, “I’ll take that. Saul wants to see you.”

Abner takes Goliath’s head all wrapped up in a cloth and leads me to Saul’s tent. Saul probably has another evil spirit and needs me to play the harp again.

The Sweet Psalmist
All on one thread!

Last edited by Serena; 12-03-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:13 PM

Chapter 3
New Best Friend
1 Samuel 17:55-18:4

I enter Saul’s tent, and bow. Saul stops looking at the tent wall and looks at me, “Tell me about your father, my boy.”. 1 Samuel 17:58

I reply, “His name is Jesse of Bethlehem. We are shepherds. He is the son of Obed the son of Boaz and Ruth.” 1 Samuel 17:58

“You have brothers?”

“Seven.”

“Why did they not go against Goliath?”

“They were scared, just like everyone else, I guess, sir.”

Saul puts his arm around me and leads me out of the tent.

Outside the tent I stand next to Saul with his arm still around me.

“David, you stand out of the crowd. Take this letter and deliver it to your father.”

A young man around twenty five comes up to us and stops. Saul puts his arm down as he speaks, “David, this is my son, Prince Jonathan.” Saul looks at Prince Jonathan, “Go with David and deliver this letter to his father. I will expect you back tonight.” Saul looks at me and continues, “Thank you my boys. You can go now.”

I take the letter from king Saul and prince Jonathan and I smile at each other. I can feel a special bond between prince Jonathan and I.

I state, “I will take it, sire.”

Prince Jonathan replies, “Yes, sir.”

Prince Jonathan and I walk away from king Saul.

I speak, “ Prince Jonathan, it is a pleasure to meet you.”

“Please call me Jonathan.”

A man comes toward us and stops.

Prince Jonathan asks, “Doeg, how are my father’s herds doing?”

Doeg bows and answers, “They are flourishing, my lord.”

“Good. Doeg, this is David, the son of Jesse of Bethlehem. He is the one everyone is talking about.”

Doeg looks at me and asks, “You’re the one who killed Goliath?”

I reply, “No, God did it. I just went out against Goliath in the name of the Lord.”

“David, this is Doeg. He is an Edomite, and he is the chief herdsman for my father.”

Doeg and I nod to each other.

Prince Jonathan states, “We have to get going.”

Doeg bows and goes on. Prince Jonathan and I nod and walk on together.

In the field Prince Jonathan and I are walking. I ask, “Tell me about a battle.”

Prince Jonathan answers, “The Lord did a great victory that day. My armor bearer and I went to the Philistine garrison that was on the other side of the battle ground. My father, king Saul. . .” This is the story in 1 Samuel 14:1-17.

I stated, “I know who your father is.”

“My father did not know that I was gone. He was in Gilead. My armor bearer and I hid between sharp rocks. I said, ‘There is no limitation to the Lord to save by many or by few. If a Philistine discovers us, we will go up and battle, for the Lord is on our side. But if no one discovers us, we will wait it out.’ My armor bearer agreed, so when we where found we climbed out of the rocks and battled. That is when my father knew that someone was missing. After a count of the people he found out that my armor bearer and I were missing. The Lord brought a great victory that day.” 1 Samuel 14: 1-18

“Praise the Lord!”

“Tell me about when you killed the bear.”

“My story is not as long.”

“That’s fine. It’s what God does that matters.”

I smile and tell the story, “I was sitting by the tree and playing my harp as I sang. A bear came into the flock and grabbed a lamb. I raced across to the bear and took the lamb from it. The bear turned on me, so I raised my clubbed it to death.”

“God is with you.”

I smile, “God is with you too.”

I stop and prince Jonathan stops and looks at me.

I suggest, “Grab a stick and I will get one too. Let’s battle for fun.” I smile at him and continue, “Show me what you can do.” This is showing bonding of young men. (Having three boys, I know they would love to do this for fun. It also shows some bonding between them.)

Prince Jonathan smiles as he looks around, “Yea, let’s do it.”

I grab a stick, and Prince Jonathan finds one, too. Now we both have our sticks up in the air ready to strike. We circle each other and knock sticks together for fun. Then Prince Jonathan swings the stick back at me and I block it, bringing my stick up as he retreats a step. After an hour of sparing, Prince Jonathan states, “You fight like you have been in the army for many years.”

I reply, “The Lord has taught me to fight.”

I step forward while bringing my stick back down at Prince Jonathan’s head. He dodges the swing and twirls around bringing his stick straight at my side. I evade and he misses me as I grab his feet and pull him down. As he falls, he brings his stick down on my head, knocking me to the ground. We both lay there, laughing.

I say, “If Saul or his army could see us now!”

“Father wouldn’t like it. But the army would. Let’s just keep it our secret.”

“It’s our secret.”

“We’d better get going.”

Prince Jonathan and I get up.

“I hear that you can sing.”

“I sing for your father.”

“Sing something.”

I sing, Psalm 29 “Give to the Lord, oh you mighty, give to the Lord glory and strength. Give to the Lord the glory due his name; worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness. The voice of the Lord is upon the waters; the God of glory thunders; the Lord is upon many waters. The voice of the Lord is powerful; the voice of the Lord is full of majesty. The voice of the Lord breaks the cedars; yes, the Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon. He makes them also to obey promptly; Lebanon and Sirion are like a young unicorn. The voice of the Lord controls the flames of fire. The voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness; the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh. The voice of the Lord makes the deer to calve, and discovers the forests, and in his temple does everyone speak of his glory. The Lord rules over the flood; yea, the Lord sits as King forever. The Lord will give strength to his people; the Lord will bless his people with peace.”

“What I heard is true. That was beautiful. Keep singing.”

We arrive at my father's house and my father is sitting at the table when we enter the house, dining on bread and fish.

When my father sees me. “David.”

I reply, “Father, we brought you a letter from king Saul.”

“I would offer you fish, but as you can see it is all gone. Would you like some bread?”

I sit down and answer, “Yes, we have walked a long way. Come on, Jonathan, sit down.”

Prince Jonathan sits next to me.

My father looks at Prince Jonathan and asks, “You look like you are related to King Saul!”

Prince Jonathan nods as he replies, “Yes. He’s my father.”

I grab some bread and brake it, and I give some to prince Jonathan. As a woman servant pours us water, I state, “This is prince Jonathan. Jonathan, this is my father, Jesse.”

My father’s eyes sparkle as he speaks, “I’ve heard of you.”

Prince Jonathan replies, “I hope it was good.”

My father laughs, “It was!”

I report, “King Saul has sent us to bring that letter.”

I watch him open and read it. My father looks sad.

I become concerned and wonder, “Father, what is it?”

My father replies, “Saul wants you to stay with him in the army, my son.” He pauses and then continues, “I will miss you.”

I get up and hug my father as I reply, “I will miss you too.”

My mother comes up to me and we hug as I say, “I love you, mother.”

“I love you, too, son.”

Prince Jonathan states, “You’ll see your parents again. We’d better get going! My father will start missing us. And you know how he is.”

We take our bread as I state, “Good-bye, Father.”

On the way back to Saul’s army prince Jonathan and I had a great time talking about our past. About the scriptures, and our love of God. Our bond grew day by day.

Now I am not allowed to go back to my father’s home and I have become Saul’s special assistant, and I always carry out his assignments.

In my tent I sing as soldiers wander in to listen to me sing. Psalm 66 “Make a joyful noise to God, all you lands. Sing forth the honor of his name; make his praise glorious. Say to God, ‘How terrible are your works. Through the greatness of your power shall your enemies submit themselves to you. All the earth shall worship you and sing to you; they shall sing to your name.’ Selah. (pause) Come and see the works of God; he is terrible in his doings toward the children of men. He turned the sea into dry land; the Israelites went through the flood on foot; there did we rejoice in him. He rules by his power forever; his eyes behold the nations; let not the rebellious exalt themselves. Selah. (pause) Oh bless our God, you people, and make the voice of his praise to be heard, who holds our souls in life and suffers not our feet to be moved. For you, oh God, have proved us; you have tried us as silver is tried. You brought us into the net; you laid affliction on our loins. You have caused men to ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water, but you brought us out to a wealthy place. I will go to your house with burnt offerings; I will pay you my vows, which my lips have uttered and my mouth has spoken when I was in trouble. I will offer to you burnt sacrifices of fatlings, with the incense of rams; I will offer bullocks with goats. Selah. (pause) Come and hear, all you who fear God, and I will declare what he has done for my soul. I cried to him with my mouth, and he was extolled with my tongue. If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me. But verily God has heard me; he has attended to the voice of my prayer. Blessed be God, who has not turned away my prayer nor kept his mercy from me.”

The soldiers nod and smile.

A soldier states, “That was good.”

“Thank you.”

Eliab shouts, “David, you are such a showoff!”

A young man comes up to Eliab and puts his hand on his shoulder and states, “Leave him alone. You didn't go out and fight Goliath.”

Eliab leaves the tent as the man walks up to David. The other soldiers leave too.

“I am Joab.”

“I am David.”

“That was good singing. God has given you a talent. Keep using it. Don't let your brothers stop you.”

“I love God too much to stop.”

Joab smiles. “Good.”

“Are you my sister Zeruiah's son?”

“Yes.”

A young boy comes up to us.

The boy asks, “That was good singing. But I have a question.”

“What is it?”

“You said Selah, then you paused. What does that mean?”

I answer, “You're not an Israelite, are you?”

“No, I am not.”

“After you hear Selah, you are supposed to think about what was just said.”

“Oh, now I see. Thank you.”

The boy leaves. David and Joab look at each other and smile.

Weeks later, Prince Jonathan and I are on our backs, looking up at the sky full of stars.

Prince Jonathan remarks, “Look at those stars!”

“The stars declare God's glory.” David replies.

“The stars do.”

I sing, Psalm 8 “Oh Lord, our Lord, how excellent is your name in all the earth, who has set your glory above the heavens. Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings hast you ordained strength because of your enemies, that you might still the enemy and the avenger. When I consider your heavens, and the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have put in place, what is man that you are mindful of him? And the son of man that you visit him? For you have made him a little lower than the angels and have crowned him with glory and honor. You made him to have dominion over the works of your hands; you have put all things under his feet, all sheep and oxen, yes, and the beast of the field, the fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatever passes through the paths of the seas. Oh Lord, our Lord, how excellent is your name in all the earth!”

Prince Jonathan smiles. “Keep singing.”

Time goes by and I am alone as I stand and look across the palace flower garden.

I write as I sing, Psalm 133 “Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! It is like the precious ointment upon the head that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron's beard, that went down to the skirts of his garments as the dew of Hermon, and as the dew that descended upon the mountains of Zion, for there the Lord commanded the blessing, even for evermore.”

Prince Jonathan walks up behind me and claps. I quickly turn around surprised. “Jonathan, I didn't know you were there.”

“Come over here.”

I go over to Prince Jonathan and we stand under a tree.

“David, I know you are busy being Saul's special assistant. You always carry out his assignments like clockwork.”

“Thank you. I am just serving God and my king.”

“That's what I like about you. You love God and will do anything for him. But I am not here to talk about what is happening. (draws near to me) I am you blood brother. Here are my robe, sword, bow, and belt.”

Prince Jonathan hands a robe, sword, bow, and belt to me and I graciously accept, “Thank you. But I have nothing to give you.”

“Don't worry about it. We are closer than brothers.”

”God gave me another song.”

“Sing it. I would love to hear it.”

I sing, Psalm 145 “I will extol you, my God, oh king, and I will bless your name forever and ever. Every day will I bless you and I will praise your name forever and ever. Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised, and his greatness is unsearchable. One generation shall praise your works to another and shall declare your mighty acts. I will speak of the glorious honor of your majesty and of your wondrous works. Men shall speak of the might of your terrible acts, and I will declare your greatness. They shall abundantly utter the memory of your great goodness and shall sing of your righteousness. The Lord is gracious and full of compassion, slow to anger and of great mercy. The Lord is good to all, and his tender mercies are over all his works. All your works shall praise you, oh Lord, and your saints shall bless you. They shall speak of the glory of your kingdom and talk of your power, to make known to the sons of men his mighty acts and the glorious majesty of his kingdom. Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and your dominion endures throughout all generations. The Lord upholds all who fall and raises up all those who are bowed down. The eyes of all look to you and you give them their meat in due season. You open your hand and satisfy the desire of every living thing. The Lord is righteous in all his ways and holy in all his works. The Lord is nigh to all those who call upon him, to all who call upon him in truth. He will fulfill the desires of those who fear him, he also will hear their cry and will save them. The Lord preserves all those who love him, but all the wicked will he destroy. My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord. Let all flesh bless his holy name forever and ever.”

Prince Jonathan says, “Keep singing.”

We walk around the garden and talk and laugh. It is such a joy to be around Prince Jonathan, and working for Saul has brought much honor upon my family. Life is looking up, and things are so much better than before. I pray things stay like this forever.

The Sweet Psalmist
All on one thread!

Last edited by Serena; 12-03-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:14 PM

Chapter 4
Promotion, Demotion
1 Samuel 18:5-16

Abner leads me into Saul’s tent. Saul is looking at the tent wall.

Abner states, “Sire, David is here.”

Abner leaves as Saul turns and looks at me, “David, you have been doing excellent work. Every assignment you do comes back with success. So I am making you the commander of my troops.”

I reply, “Thank you. I will do my best for my king and my for the Lord
God in Heaven.”

Saul talks to me all through the night about the next battle plans.

Now as commander of the troops, my first job had changed. But I know that with God, I can do any thing. My trust will always be in my God.

At home I sit on my bed and sing as I write, Psalm 131 “Lord, my heart is not haughty, neither are my eyes lofty, nor do I exercise myself in great matters or in things too high for me. Surely I have behaved and quieted myself as a child who is weaned of his Mother; my soul is even as a weaned child. Let Israel hope in the Lord from now and forever.”

The Israel army is facing the Philistine army. I ride a horse up and down in front of my men.

I shout, “Men! We have God on our side. On my signal!”

I turn to look at the enemy and whisper, “Lord, say when to go. We don't go without you.”

We wait. The Philistine army clangs their armor.

The Lord answers me in my spirit with the soft still voice, “Go.”

I raise my sword. Then I lower it straight in front of me as I shout, “Now!”

The whole Israel army roars as we run at the Philistines. We battle, and my army flees leaving only three men who help me battle the Philistines. We win the battle. 2 Samuel 23:9-10

I walk up to the three men that helped me win, and state, “God has given us another victory. Now, men, what are your names?”

One answers, “I am Joshebbashebeth from Tahehemon. People call me Adino.”

The second answers, “I am Eleazar, the son of Dodo.”

The third answers, “I am Shammah, the son of Agee of Harar.”

I see my army returning with joy.

I start walking up to them as I speak to the three, “There is the rest of the army. I will be right back.”

I walk up to them. One of the Israel soldiers comes up to me and speaks, “Please forgive us. We became scared and fled. We will take care of the dead and bury them.”

I answer, “God has given us a great victory. With God on our side there is no need to fear. Now, go do as you have said.”

My soldiers get to work as I returns to the three who battled with me. “Adino, Shammah, and Eleazar, come with me. Let's go over here so we can talk while they bury the dead.”

The four of us sit under a tree and face the Israel army who continue working. I announce, “I do not delight in war. But there are times when we have to go to battle.”

Eleazar rubs his hand that held his sword and speaks, “I fought until I was too tired to hold my sword. It was good the battle was almost finished.” 1 Samuel 23:9-10

“We would love to hear you sing,” Shammah looks at me.

I smile and nod, “I want to sing for the Lord because of what he has done.” I sing, Psalm 20 “ May the Lord hear you in the day of trouble and the name of the God of Jacob defend you, send you help from the sanctuary, and strengthen you out of Zion. Remember all your offerings, and accept your burnt sacrifice. Selah. (pause) Grant you, according to your own heart, and fulfill all your counsel. We will rejoice in your salvation, and in the name of our God we will set up our banners. The Lord fulfill all your petitions. Now I know that the Lord saves his anointed; he will hear him from his holy heaven with the saving strength of his right hand. Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we will remember the name of the Lord our God. They are brought down and fallen, but we are risen and stand upright. Save, Lord; let the king hear us when we call.”

As we entered Jerusalem I see the women coming out of their homes.

All over the town they come out dancing and cheering, “Saul has slain his thousands, and David his ten thousands.!” 1 Samuel 18:7

The tambourines and cymbals go with there song. As they repeat the cheer, I ride through the town and by Saul’s palace. I can see Saul looking from the window. He does not look happy. What is he thinking? He always seems to jump to conclusions. Well I am not going to worry about it, I will just keep an eye out.

I smile and nod my head at the crowd as I pass. I don’t know what to think. Here I am a lowly shepherd boy and now people are cheering me. God is why I won the victories. He is why I am here. Without God, I am nothing.

At home I lay on my bed and sing, Psalm 33 “Rejoice in the Lord, oh you righteous, for praise is comely for the upright. Praise the Lord with harp; sing to him with the psalms and an instrument of ten strings. Sing to him a new song; play skillfully with a loud noise. For the word of the Lord is right, and all his works are done in truth. He loves righteousness and judgment; the earth is full of the goodness of the Lord. By the word of the Lord were the heavens made, and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth. He gathered the waters of the sea together as a heap; he lays up the depth in storehouses. Let all the earth fear the Lord; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him. For he spake, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast. The Lord brings the counsel of the heathen to nothing; he makes the devices of the people of no effect. The counsel of the Lord stands forever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations. Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord and the people whom he has chosen for his own inheritance. The Lord looks from heaven; he beholds all the sons of men. From the place of his habitation he looks upon all the inhabitants of the earth. He fashions their hearts alike; he considers all their works. There is no king saved by the multitude of a host; a might man is not delivered by much strength. A horse is a vain thing for safety; neither shall he deliver any by his great strength. Behold, the eye of the Lord is upon those who fear him, upon those who hope in his mercy to deliver their souls from death and to keep them alive in famine. My soul waits for the Lord; he is our help and our shield. Our hearts shall rejoice in him because we have trusted in his holy name. Let your mercy, oh Lord, be upon us, according as we hope in you.”

The next day Saul is tormented by an evil spirit. So I come like I always do.

Abner whispers to me, “I have never seen him this bad before.”

I bow, and then I sit down. Saul paces back and forth in a fury as he fiddles with his spear. I play the harp like I always do.

I sing, Psalm 46 “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth be removed and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea, though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof.”

Saul keeps up his pace back and forth, as I keep on playing the harp.

Saul mumbles, “Saul has slain his thousands and David his ten thousands.”

Saul hurls his spear at me, but I get away. He grabs a javelin and throws it at me too, so I jump aside and run out of the room. I did not finish the Psalm because of my life in danger. I race down the halls of the palace.

Why would Saul the king do this to me? He was not acting like he usually acts when I play the harp. He was still tormented by the evil spirit, the music is didn’t calm him down. I have never done anything to him. Everything I have done I have helped him succeed. Every battle I have won, I brought him more victories. Prince Jonathan and I have worked great wonders together, with God on our side. I have always came in and played to soothe his spirits, and he had always been soothed. Why would he want me dead? I don’t understand it. What are people saying to him about me.

I flee to my house, there I sit at my table and write, Psalms 58 “Do you indeed speak righteousness, oh congregation? Do you judge uprightly, oh you sons of men? Yes, in heart you work wickedness; you dispense the violence of your hands in the earth. The wicked are estranged from the womb; they go astray as soon as they are born, speaking lies. Their poison is like the poison of a serpent; they are like the deaf adder that stops her ear, which will not listen to the voice of charmers, charming ever so wisely. Break their teeth, oh God, in their mouths; break out the great teeth of the young lions, oh Lord. Let them melt away as waters that run continually; when he bends his bow to shoot his arrows, let them be as cut in pieces. Like a snail that melts, let every one of them pass away; like the untimely birth of a woman, may they not see the sun. Before your pots feel the thorns, he shall take them away as with a whirlwind, both living and in his wrath. The righteous shall rejoice when he sees the vengeance; he shall wash his feet in the blood of the wicked. So that a man shall say,” Verily there is a reward for the righteous; verily he is a God who judges in the earth.”

The next day, I walk into the palace courtroom before Saul.

Saul orders, “David, you are banned from my presence and demoted to the rank of captain.”

I bow and leave. Now Saul has taken away my position. Yet I will not stop doing my best. I am going to keep on going, with God’s help I will do my best and keep on succeeding in all I do. God would not want me to stop doing the job before me. So every assignment I get I will still do with all my heart. I will still trust in the Lord. God is my rock.

I am inspired and write, Psalms 64 “Hear my voice, oh God, in my prayer; preserve my life from fear of the enemy. Hide me from the secret counsel of the wicked, from the insurrection of the workers of iniquity, who sharpen their tongues like a sword, and bend their bows to shoot their arrows, even bitter words, that they may shoot in secret at the perfect; suddenly do they shoot at him, and fear not. They encourage themselves in an evil matter; they commune of laying snares privily; they say, ‘Who shall see them?’ They scheme to do evil; they accomplish a diligent search; both the inward thought of every one of them, and the , are deep. But God shall shoot at them with an arrow; suddenly shall they be wounded. So they shall make their own tongues to fall upon themselves; all who see them shall flee away. All men shall fear and shall declare the work of God, for they shall wisely consider his doing. The righteous shall be glad in the Lord and shall trust in him, and all the upright in heart shall glory.”

I kept up my work and everything I did God brought success. Months go by and Israel keeps on winning battles. Being best friend Prince Jonathan and I talk every night.

After another great victory, I go to the large tent in the camp. Prince Jonathan stands next to me in a crowd of soldiers who are drinking. One soldier stands and raises his goblet, “To David, our captain. Another victory.”

The men raise their goblets. I put up my hands, “No, men. Don't drink to me. Drink to the Lord.”

All soldiers raise their goblets and announce, “To the Lord.”

Everyone drinks.

Prince Jonathan speaks to me, “You know, David, you did another good job out there.”

“I do good because of the Lord, who leads me. So I give the honor to the one who deserves it.”

“You are right. God is why we win every battle.”

David nods and smiles. We look at the food before us and eat and drink.

Time goes by and I rest in a field alone. The sun is setting. I sing, Psalm 23 “The Lord is my shepherd, I will not be in need. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; he leads me in his paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.”

The Sweet Psalmist
All on one thread!

Old 12-03-2015, 04:15 PM

Chapter 5
Marriage
2 Samuel 18:17-29

After months of being banned from King Sauls’ presence, he stops me in the hall of the palace. I bow as he says, “I am ready to give you my oldest daughter Merab as your wife. But first, you must prove yourself to be a real soldier by fighting the Lord’s battles.” 1Samuel 18:17

I exclaim, “Who am I that I should be the king’s son-in-law? My father is nothing!” 1 Samuel 18:18

Saul walks on and I look out the window. What should I think of what Saul offered? Well I am here to serve the king and serve my mighty God, so I will go and fight the Lord’s battles.

After fighting many battles for the Lord, I am at the wedding. I know that Saul is giving Merab to someone else. My heart is crushed and I am feel betrayed.

Saul stands before the crowd, he raises his glass of wine and says, “I am giving Merab to be the wife of a friend I have known. He has been in many battles, and fought courageously. I am proud to let Adriel of Mehotath to wed my daughter Merab.”

I hear Saul’s words they are a knife to my heart cutting deeper and deeper into my soul. Saul broke his word. He could not say that I had not been like a real warrior. Everyone knows that I have. He saw me in battle. Why is he doing this? Lord, I have always did him good, yet he tries to hurt me. What do you want me to do?

I can here prince Jonathan’s voice, “David. . . David . . . David.”

I come out of my thoughts, “What is it?”

“What’s wrong?”

“Your Father said that if I proved myself he would give me Merab as wife. You know that I have proved myself. We have won every battle.”

Prince Jonathan answers, “But you said to my father, ‘Who am I that I should be the king’s son-in-law? My father’s family is nothing.”

“Yea, I did.”

“My father thought you weren’t taking the offer?”

I looked at him and realize, “Yes.” I look at the crowd celebrating. “I guess you’re right.”

“David, come with me.”

Prince Jonathan and I walk across the garden as people keep dancing, singing, and drinking.

“I know of someone who likes you a lot, my youngest sister.” Prince Jonathan points across the crowd. I look. A young woman stands on the other side. She looks at me shyly. “That is her, to the right.”

I smile and shake my head, “Jonathan, you are something.”

“It is good to see your smiling face.”

Later at the wedding that day, after I am done with my dinner and sitting down with Prince Jonathan, Saul approaches us. So Prince Jonathan and I stand up.

Saul announces, “I need to talk to David.”

Prince Jonathan speaks, “I’ll go.” Then he walks away.

Saul states, “You can be my son-in-law after all, for I will give you my youngest daughter.” 1 Samuel 18:21

I do not say a word, for I have nothing to say to him. Can I trust him? Was prince Jonathan right about what he had said before?

Saul goes back to his seat as I sit down and watch the guests celebrating by drinking and dancing. What am I to think of this? I don’t have a dowry to give for her.

Suddenly I was awakened out of my thoughts. Sauls’ men are around me.

One speaks, “Saul really loves you.”

Another continues, “Yes, he really loves you a lot.”

Another adds, “He wants you to be his son-in-law.”

I look up at them and shake my head, then I state, “How can a poor man like me from an unknown family find enough dowry to marry the daughter of a king?”

They turn and leave me and go to king Saul. Soon they are back.

One of them speaks, “All Saul wants for dowry is one hundred dead Philistines and vengeance on his enemies.” 1 Samuel 18:24

I smile, I know that I can do that. Joy is flooding me for I know that God has prospered me in everything that I have done. So I stand and nod as I exclaim, “ I can do that!”

The next day I have all my men together. I stand before them and announce, “Saul, the king has offered me his youngest daughter Michal. All he wants is a hundred dead Philistine foreskins. God has always prospered us so let’s go kill two hundred and bring them to Saul.”

The men cheer with their arms raised, “Yeah!!!!!”

After the mighty victory against the Philistines, I stand before Saul in his courtroom. I bow as he asks, “What is it?”

“I have exacted vengeance on your enemies.” I watch Saul as he waits for the rest of my words, “Look out your window. You will see two hundred foreskins of the Philistines.”

Saul goes to the window and looks out the window. He breathes deeply and then answers, “So you have done it. I will keep my word. You will marry Michal.”

I bow and speak, “Thank you, sire.” Joy is flooding me as I think of my future with Michal.

Our wedding is wonderful. I felt great joy and respect of all my men. Saul seems happy and Michal is extremely joyful. My men are here celebrating with me as we all dance, drink and enjoy the delicious food prepared by Saul’s servants.
-------------------------------

Saul thought that if David went out and fought the Philistines he would get killed. For Saul was jealous of David ever since he saw David ride in Jerusalem and the women praising him with song. From that day Saul wanted David dead. Saul knew what God said to him through the prophet Samuel, "The Lord hath rent the kingdom of Israel form thee this day, and hath given it to a neighbor of thine, that is better than you." 1 Samuel 15:28

So when David was able to kill the Philistines as promise, David was able to marry Michal, Saul's daughter. But I believe Saul thought that Michal might bring David down. For Michal has idols, and you will see later what she did. Saul probably thought if David follows the idols of Michal, God would reject him too. But David is a man after God's own heart so lets see what happens. Keep reading. God's Word is so wonderful.

The Sweet Psalmist
All on one thread!

Old 12-03-2015, 04:16 PM

Chapter 6
Assassination Attempts
1 Samuel 19:1-20:42

From time to time the Philistines came against us. We were victorious in every battle. With God for us, who can be against us? When will they ever learn? I am sitting at the table in my home and I hear a loud knock. I answer the door and Prince Jonathan looks concerned as he walks in. I ask as the door is shut, “What is it, Jonathan?”

“My father wants to have you assassinated.”

I am in shock, “What?”

Prince Jonathan repeats, “Tomorrow morning. I want you to find a place to hide out in the fields. I’ll go ask my father to go out there with me, and I’ll talk to him about you; then I’ll tell you everything I can find out.”

I stand there almost not believing what I am hearing. But I know that Prince Jonathan would not lie to me.

Prince Jonathan then states, “I’d better get going, I will talk to you tomorrow. Stay hidden in the field, okay?”

I nod my head as I answer, “I will be hidden.” Then Prince Jonathan leaves.

It is hard to sleep tonight. Thoughts of what I just heard ring through my head. Inspired again by the Spirit I write, Psalm 5 “Give ear to my words, oh Lord. Consider my meditation. Hearken to the voice of my cry, my King and my God, for to you alone will I pray. My voice shall you hear in the morning, oh Lord. In the morning will I direct my prayer to you and will look up. For you are not a God who has pleasure in wickedness; neither shall evil dwell with you. The foolish shall not stand in your sight; you hate all workers of iniquity. You shall destroy those who speak falsehood; the Lord will abhor the bloody and deceitful man. But as for me, I will come to your house in the multitude of your mercy, and in your fear will I worship toward your holy temple. Lead me, oh Lord, in your righteousness because of mine enemies; make your way straight before my face. For there is no faithfulness in their mouths; their inward parts are very wicked; their throats are open sepulchers; they flatter with their tongues. Destroy them, oh God. Let them fall by their own counsels; cast them out in the multitude of their transgressions, for they have rebelled against you. But let all those who put their trust in you rejoice; let them always shout for joy, because you shelter them; let them also who love your name be joyful in you. For you, Lord, will bless the righteous; with favor will you compass him as with a shield.”

The next morning I wait in the field under a tree. The palace garden is in the distance, as I sing, Psalm 11 “In the Lord I put my trust. How say you to my soul, "Flee as a bird to your mountain?" For, lo the wicked bend their bow, they make ready arrow upon the string. They may privately shoot at the upright in heart. If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do? The Lord is in his holy Temple. The Lord's throne is in heaven, his eyes behold, his eyelids try the children of men. The Lord tries the righteous; but the wicked and him that loves violence his soul hates. Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone, and an horrible tempest. This shall be the portion of their cup. For the righteous Lord loves righteousness, his countenance does behold the upright.”

I can see Jonathan come out with his father in the palace garden across the field. He talks to his father for what felt like hours when it was only fifteen minutes. Saul goes inside, and Prince Jonathan signals for me to come back. I run up to Jonathan and ask, “What happened?”

Prince Jonathan reports, “I talked to my father. I reminded him that you never did anything to hurt him. That everything you have done was good. I reminded him of Goliath and how happy he was when you slew the giant. He said he will not kill you. So you can come back.”

I reply, “Thank you, Jonathan. Thank you for being so good to me.”

Prince Jonathan answers, “I love you too much to let something happen to you.” Prince Jonathan paused and then continued, “Let’s go see my father.”

I smile and walk with Prince Jonathan as we make our old jokes with each other.

Things go back to like they were before. I lead my troops and we fight the Philistines, killing many of them. They always ended up running. A little time has gone by now, Joab and Prince Jonathan are walking down the road with me.

Prince Jonathan gladly speaks, “David, ever since my Father restored you to your position a few months ago, we keep getting more blessings from God.”

Joab adds, “God is with you, David.”

“I seek God everyday and will not go without him.” I answer.

Abner walks toward us so we stop in front of Abner as he speaks, “Saul needs you to sing.”

“Yes, sir.” I turn to my friends, “ God bless you.”

Prince Jonathan and Joab both exclaim, “God bless you.”

I walks away with Abner.

In Saul’s house, I play the harp while Saul sits in a chair. The song is one I have written, Psalms 19 “The heavens declare the glory of God, and the firmament shows his handiwork. Day unto day utters speech, and night unto night shows knowledge. There is no speech nor language where their voice is not heard. Their line has gone out through all the earth and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a taberna...”

Suddenly, Saul jumps from his chair and throws his spear at me. I dodge out of the way without finishing the song and flee in the night.

I am in my house now, and Michal is looking out the window. She turns to me and states, “David my father’s soldiers are out there, they will kill you in the morning.” I go to my table and sit there and write a song, Psalms 59 “Deliver me from my enemies, oh my God; defend me from those who rise up against me. Deliver me from the workers of iniquity and save me from bloody men. For lo, they lie in wait for my soul; the mighty are gathered against me, not for my transgression nor for my sin, oh Lord. They run and prepare themselves without my fault. Awake to help me, and behold. You therefore, oh Lord God of hosts, the God of Israel, awake to visit all the heathen; be not merciful to any wicked transgressors. Selah.”

I think I hear a sound while I am deep in thought about what I just wrote.

I continues singing, “They return at evening; they make a noise like a dog and go round about the city. Behold, they belch out with their mouths; swords are in their lips, for who, say they, does hear? But you, oh Lord, shall laugh at them; you will have all the heathen in derision. Because of his strength will I wait on you, for God is my defense. The God of my mercy shall prevent me; God shall let me see my desire upon my enemies. Slay them not, lest my people forget; scatter them by your power and bring them down, oh Lord our shield. For the sin of their mouths and the words of their lips let them even be taken in their pride, and for cursing and lying that they speak. Consume them in wrath, consume them, that they may not be, and let them know that God rules in Jacob unto the ends of the earth. Selah.”

Again, I think I hear a sound while I am deep in thought about what I just wrote.

I continues singing, “At evening let them return; let them make a noise like a dog and go around about the city. Let them wander up and down for meat, and grudge if they be not satisfied. But I will sing of your power; yes, I will sing aloud of your mercy in the morning, for you have been my defense and refuge in the day of my trouble. Unto you, oh my strength, will I sing, for God is my defense and the God of my mercy.”

The song is done and I can hear Michal plead, “David, I have been trying to get your attention. Listen to me. If you don't get away tonight, you'll be dead by morning.”

I write and seal the paper and give it to Michal. “Make sure my family gets this letter.”

“I will. Now, get out of here.”1 Samuel 19:17

I look at her then at what she is holding, and I know that she is right. So I nod as I get up.

Michal gives me the bag and we use a rope so I can get out of the window and to the ground outside the city. I flee for my life. All I can think of is to get to Samuel at Ramah.

Samuel takes me to live with him at Naioth, “David, it is good that you are here. God is with you.”

“Saul wants me dead.”

“That is why I brought you from Ramah to Naioth, to live here. Remember when the Lord sent me to anoint you to be the next king of Israel?”

“Yes.”

“The Lord rejected Saul from being king over Israel. Then the Lord sent me to find a son of your father. All of your brothers came before me, but the Lord said no to them all. That is when I found out that you where not there, so I sent for you.”

“Is that why Eliab looked disappointed?”

“When I saw you with your brothers, the Lord said, ‘It is him, go anoint him.’ That is when I anointed you.” Samuel goes to the other side of the room and kneels on the floor. “I am going to go pray.”

I write another song, Psalms 26 “Judge me, oh Lord, for I have walked in my integrity. I have trusted also in the Lord; therefore, I shall not slide. Examine me, oh Lord, and prove me; try my reins and my heart. For your loving kindness is before my eyes, and I have walked in your truth. I have not sat with vain persons, nor will I go in with dissemblers. I have hated the congregation of evildoers and will not sit with the wicked.”

I look out the window and state, “Samuel, come here and look.”

Samuel gets up and goes to the window to look. Soldiers are talking to people. “I will go see what is going on.”

Samuel goes out as I continue singing, Psalm 26 “I will wash mine hands in innocence. So will I compass your altar, oh Lord. that I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving and tell of all your wondrous works. Lord, I have loved the habitation of your house and the place where your honor dwells. Gather not my soul with sinners, nor my life with bloody men in whose hands is mischief, and their right hand is full of bribes. But as for me, I will walk in my integrity; redeem me, and be merciful to me. My foot stands in an level place; in the congregations will I bless the Lord.”

Samuel comes in and I stand up. Samuel informs, “They were looking for you. But instead they started prophesying and then they left.”

Three days later, I sit in the corner, playing my harp. Samuel comes up to me.

I ask, “What is it, Samuel?”

“Saul tried to come here to get you, but on the way he started prophesying and stopped coming.”

“I have to go. I have been here long enough. I can't put you in danger.”

I grab my bag and harp.

“The Lord be with you.”

“The Lord be with you.” I leave Samuel’s house not knowing what to do next.

I find Prince Jonathan, and walk up to him and exclaim, “What have I done? Why is your father so determined to kill me?” 1 Samuel 20:1

Prince Jonathan protests, “I'm sure he's not planning any such thing, for he always tells me everything he's going to do, even little things, and I know he wouldn't hide something like this from me. It just can't be so.” 1 Samuel 20:2

“Of course you don’t know about it. Your father knows about our friendship, so he has said to himself ‘I’ll not tell Jonathan. Why should I hurt him? But the truth is that I am only a step away from death! I swear it by the Lord and by your own soul!” 1 Samuel 20:3

Prince Jonathan begs, “Tell me what to do.” 1 Samuel 20:4

“Tomorrow is the beginning of the celebration of the new moon. I’ve always been with your father for this occasion, but tomorrow I’ll hide in the field and stay there until the evening of the third day . If your father asks where I am, tell him that I asked permission to go home to Bethlehem for an annual family reunion. If he says, ‘Fine.’ then I’ll know that all is well. But if he is angry, then I’ll know that he is planning to kill me. Do this for me as my sworn brother. Or kill me yourself if I have sinned against your father, but don’t betray me to him.” Samuel 20:5-8

“Of course, not!” 1 Samuel 20:9

I then ask, “How will I know whether or not your father is angry?” 1 Samuel 20:10

Prince Jonathan replies, “Come out to the fields with me.” 1 Samuel 20:11

Out in the field, Prince Jonathan states, “I promise by the Lord God of Israel that about this time tomorrow or the next day at the latest, I will talk to my father about you and let you know at once how he feels about you. If he is angry and wants you killed, then may the Lord kill me if I don’t tell you so you can escape and live. May the Lord be with you as he used to be with my father. And remember, you must demonstrate the love and kindness of the Lord not only to me during my own lifetime, but also to my children after the Lord has destroyed all of your enemies.”
1Samuel 20:12-15

I vow, “Let there be a terrible curse against me and all my descendants should I be unfaithful to this promise.”

Prince Jonathan persists, “Swear by me, and your love for me.”

I know what he means for our love for each other is stronger than a brothers. So I promise, “I vow by your love and you that I will keep my promise and you and your decedents I will treat with kindness.”

Prince Jonathan remarks, “They will miss you tomorrow when your place at the table is empty. By the day after tomorrow, everyone will be asking for you. So be at the hideout where you were before, over by the stone pile. I will come out and shoot three arrows in front of the pile a though I were shooting a target. Then I’ll send a lad to bring the arrows back. If you hear me, tell him. ‘They’re on this side.’ Then you will know that all is well and that there is no trouble. But if I tell him, ‘Go farther the arrows are still ahead of you.’ that it will mean that you must leave immediately. And may the Lord make us keep our promises to each other, for he has witnessed them.” 1Samuel 20:18-23

“May the Lord do it.”

“I have to get going.” Prince Jonathan heads back to the palace.

Finally the time comes, I wait in the tall grass behind the stone pile and write more, Psalms 25 “Unto you, oh Lord, do I lift up my soul. Oh my God, I trust in you; let me not be ashamed; let not mine enemies triumph over me. Yes, let none who wait on you be ashamed; let them be ashamed who transgress without cause. Show me your ways, oh Lord; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; on you do I wait all the day. Remember, oh Lord, your tender mercies and your loving kindnesses, for they have been ever of old. Remember not the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions; according to your mercy remember me for your goodness' sake, oh Lord. Good and upright is the Lord; therefore will he teach sinners in the way. The meek will he guide in judgment, and the meek will he teach his way. All the paths of the Lord are mercy and truth unto such as obey his agreement and his testimonies. For your name's sake, oh Lord, pardon my iniquity, for it is great. What man is he who fears the Lord? Him will he teach in the way that he will choose. His soul shall dwell at ease, and his seed shall inherit the earth. The secret of the Lord is with those who fear him, and he will show them his covenant. My eyes are ever toward the Lord, for he shall pluck my feet out of the net. Turn to me and have mercy on me, for I am desolate and afflicted. The troubles of my heart are enlarged; oh bring me out of my distress. Look on my affliction and my pain, and forgive me all my sins. Consider my enemies, for they are many, and they hate me with cruel hatred. Oh, keep my soul and deliver me; let me not be ashamed, for I put my trust in you. Let integrity and uprightness preserve me, for I wait on you. Redeem Israel, oh God, out of all their troubles.”

Then I see Prince Jonathan and a young lad come out. Prince Jonathan picks up his bow, and puts an arrow into the bow. He pulls back, aims,then he shoots. He does this two more times. Then I see him signal the lad to go find the arrows. I pull my head back behind the pile of stones. Five minutes go by before Prince Jonathan shouts, “The arrow is still ahead of you. Hurry, don’t wait.” 1 Samuel 20:18

I shut my eyes. It was as I had said. Saul wants me dead. I silently pray, “Oh Lord, Oh my God. Help me, lead me, show me where to go. Show me what to do. I know you have always led me before, and you will always lead me in the future. I trust in you oh, my God.” I can feel the tears on my cheeks, as I open my eyes. Prince Jonathan is here, and I bow three times. We both weep and weep. I know that I will not be able to keep getting with Prince Jonathan and enjoying his company. I know that I will not be able to get back to Michal my wife. I know that Saul will keep looking for me. I kept on weeping and weeping until I can’t do it no more.

Finally I can speak, “I am going to miss you.”

We shake hands as prince Jonathan encourages, “Cheer up, for we have entrusted each other and each other’s children into God’s hands forever.” 1 Samuel 20:42

I sniff and wipe a tear from my eyes before answering, “Good-bye.”
Prince Jonathan replies, “Good-bye, my brother. I will see you again.”
Prince Jonathan heads back to the city, and I depart to my next place to hide. As I walk I think, “Where should I go? I have no weapons or food.”

-------------------------------

After David leaves his house to get away from the soldiers who Saul sent to kill him. Michal is in the house in the morning. Two soldiers knock on the door and Michal answers the door. The soldiers ask where David is, and she says that David is sick in bed. They look at the bed and looks like David is in bed. The soldiers pick up the bed and drop it and an idol of Michals falls to the floor. The soldiers takes Michal to her father, Saul. Now Saul is angry at Michal. Think about it, she has a king angry at her. She could be just killed. When confronted about letting his enemy go. She replies that she was made to do it. So that is how she was able to get out of her fathers anger. Remember I said something about Michal having idols. This is where I found that out. But you can see that David did not follow her, for his heart was after God. This is a picture of how we should be. Have hearts after God, no matter what others do. Blessing upon all of you.

The Sweet Psalmist
All on one thread!

Old 12-03-2015, 04:18 PM

Chapter 7
Fleeing Saul
Samuel 21:1-22:23

I finally decide to go where I heard that Goliath’s sword is, with Ahimelech the priest, and he will also have food. When I arrive in Nob, I go straight to see Ahimelech. I have been there many times before to search God’s will.

Ahimelech looks nervous as he asks, “Why are you alone? Why is no one with you?” 1 Samuel 21:1

I lie because I can’t tell the truth and get caught, “The king has sent me on a private matter, he told me not to tell anybody why I am here. I have told my men where to meet me later. Now what is there to eat? Give me five loaves of bread, or anything else you can.” 1 Samuel 21:2-3

Ahimelech replies, “We don’t have any regular bread, but there is holy bread, which I guess you can have if only your young men have not slept with any women for awhile.” 1Samuel 21:4

“Rest assured, I never let my men run wild when they are on an expedition, and since they stay clean even on ordinary trips, how much more so on this one!” 1 Samuel 21:5

Ahimelech goes out of the tent and comes back with the holy bread. He hands it to me, as he says, “ Since there is no other bread, I will give this to you.”

I take the bread and graciously speak, “Thank you. The kings’ business requires such haste. I left in such a rush that I came away without a weapon.” 1 Samuel 21:8

Ahimelech answers, “I have the sword of Goliath the Philistine, the fellow you killed in the valley of Elah. It is wrapped in a cloth in the clothes behind the ephod.” 1 Samuel 21:9

Ahimelech leaves the room and returns with the sword of Goliath and continues, “Take that if you want it, for there is nothing else here.” 1 Samuel 21:9

I speak as I rise, “Just the thing! Give it to me.” 1 Samuel 21:9

As I take the sword I look past Ahimelech. On the other side of the room, I see Doeg the Edomite, Saul’s chief herdsman.

(I do not know who was with David at the time, all I know is that some men were with him. Because of what Jesus said about when David got the bread from the priest. It most likely was not these men. But I was just puting some men in the story. I do not know if David had anyone with him in the next place he goes.) I met with Prince Jonathan as I walked out of the tabernacle. Great! Doeg also saw me. He will probably run to Saul and say that I was here. I put the sword to my side, and quickly state, “Thank you, I have to get going.”

I flee out of there quickly. Doeg does not need to know where I am going. But where should I go? I don’t want to be anywhere where Saul can find me. I know I can go where he will not look. The King of Achish of Gath is an enemy of Saul and Saul would not look for me there.

I share my bread with Prince Jonathan and Joab before parting.

In King Achish’s court, his soldiers stand to the side and I can hear their chatter.

One states, “Isn’t he the top leader of Israel?”

Another reports, “Isn’t he the one the people honor at their dances singing, ‘Saul has slain his thousands, and David his ten thousands!” 1 Samuel 21:11

Others are getting riled up. I can see that they are going to get their king angry at me. I don’t want to be killed by him. I have to save my life. I start clawing and making animal sounds as I let my spit start dripping. Then I run around like a wild animal, and scratching at the door.

I can hear the king announce, “Must you bring me a mad man?! We already have enough of them around here! Should such a fellow as this be my guest?!”

1 Samuel 21:14 One leader replies as he shakes, “Sorry sire, I will let him out.”

As soon as the doors are open I flee from the palace. In the streets of Gath, I walk down the street and think of a song, Psalm 34 “I will bless the Lord at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul will make her boast in the Lord; the humble shall hear thereof and be glad. Oh, magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together. I sought the Lord, and he heard me and delivered me from all my fears. They looked unto him and were lightened, and their faces were not ashamed. This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him and saved him out of all his troubles. The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him and delivers them. Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who trusts in him. Oh, fear the Lord, you his saints, for there is no want to those who fear him. The young lions lack, and suffer hunger, but those who seek the Lord will not want any good thing. Come, ye children, hearken to me; I will teach you the fear of the Lord. What man is he who desires life and loves many days, that he may see good? Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking guile. Depart from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it. The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and his ears are open to their cry. The face of the Lord is against those who do evil, to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth. The righteous cry, and the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. The Lord is near to those who are of a broken heart and saves such as be of crushed spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous but the Lord delivers him out of them all. He keeps all his bones; not one of them is broken. Evil shall slay the wicked and those who hate the righteous shall be desolate. The Lord redeems the soul of his servants, and none of those who trust him shall be desolate.”

Out in the field, I find a place all alone and sit down. The tears have been pouring from my eyes for hours and I am all dried up. I play my harp sing softly because of the dryness, Psalm 69 “Save me, oh God, for the waters are come into my soul. I sink in deep mire, where there is no standing; I am come to deep waters, where the floods overflow me. I am weary of my crying; my throat is dried; my eyes fail while I wait for my God. Those who hate me without cause are more than the hairs of my head; those who would destroy me, being my enemies wrongfully, are mighty. Then I restored that which I took not away. Oh God, you know my foolishness, and my sins are not hid from you. Let not those who wait on you, oh Lord God of hosts, be ashamed for my sake; let not those who seek you be confounded for my sake, oh God of Israel. Because for your sake I have borne reproach; shame has covered my face. I am become a stranger to my brethren and an alien to my Mother's children. For the zeal of your house has eaten me up, and the reproaches of those who reproached you are fallen on me. When I wept and chastened my soul with fasting, that was to my reproach. I made sackcloth my garment, and I became a proverb to them. Those who sit in the gate spoke against me, and I was the song of the drunkards. But as for me, my prayer is to you, oh Lord, in an acceptable time. Oh God, in the multitude of your mercy, hear me in the truth of your salvation. Deliver me out of the mire and let me not sink; let me be delivered from those who hate me and out of the deep waters. Let not the water flood overthrow me, neither let the deep swallow me up, and let not the pit shut her mouth upon me. Hear me, oh Lord, for your loving kindness is good; turn to me according to the multitude of your tender mercies. Hide not your face from your servant, for I am in trouble; hear me speedily. Draw nigh to my soul and redeem it; deliver me because of my enemies. You have known my reproach, my shame, and my dishonor; my adversaries are all before you. Reproach has broken my heart, and I am full of heaviness. I looked for some to take pity, but there were none, and for comforters, but I found none. They gave me also gall for my meat, and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink. Let their table become a snare before them, and that which should have been for their welfare, let it become a trap. Let their eyes be darkened, that they see not, and make their loins continually to shake. Pour out your indignation upon them, and let your wrathful anger take hold of them. Let their habitation be desolate, and let none dwell in their tents. For they persecute him whom you have smitten, and they talk to the grief of those whom you have wounded. Add iniquity to their iniquity, and let them not come to your righteousness. Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous. But I am poor and sorrowful; let your salvation, oh God, set me up on high. I will praise the name of God with a song and will magnify him with thanksgiving. This shall please the Lord better than an ox or bullock that has horns and hoofs. The humble shall see this and be glad, and your heart shall live if you seek God. For the Lord hears the poor and despises not his prisoners. Let the heaven and the earth praise him, the seas and everything that moves therein. For God will save Zion and will build the cities of Judah, that they may dwell there and have it in possession. The seed of his servants shall inherit it, and those who love his name shall dwell therein.”

I sit by the fire inside the cave all alone. The night air is cool as I sing and play my harp, Psalm 57 “Be merciful to me, oh God, be merciful to me, for my soul trusts in you; yes, in the shadow of your wings will I make my refuge until these calamities be over. I will cry to God most high, to God, who performs all things for me. He shall send from heaven and save me from the reproach of him who would swallow me up. Selah. (pause) God shall send forth his mercy and his truth. My soul is among lions, and I lie among those who are set on fire, even the sons of men, whose teeth are spears and arrows and their tongues a sharp sword. Be thou exalted, oh God, above the heavens; let your glory be above all the earth. They have prepared a net for my steps; my soul is bowed down; they have dug a pit before me; to the midst thereof they are fallen themselves. Selah. (pause) My heart is fixed, oh God, my heart is fixed; I will sing and give praise. Awake, my glory; awake, psaltery and harp; I myself will awake early. I will praise thee, oh Lord, among the people; I will sing to you among the nations. For your mercy is great to the heavens and your truth to the clouds. Be exalted, oh God, above the heavens; let your glory be above the earth.”

My seven brothers come in the cave with my two sisters and my father and mother. They bring their families.

My father exclaims, “David, you are safe!”

I get up and hug everyone and say, “Good! You are all here.”

“We received your letter.”

Eliab speaks, “King Saul is raving about not finding you.”

I nod my head as Abinadab adds, “A lot of the poor are unhappy with Saul.”

One of my two sisters come up to me with three young men. I know one, Joab. They all bow.

I ask, “Zeruiah, my sister, what is it?”

Zeruiah answers, “David, this is Abishai, Joab, and Asahel. They want to join you.”

“They may. Joab, it is good to see you again.”

“You know each other.”

“From the army.”

The three bow before me.

“Thank you for letting us come with you” Abishai softly speaks.

Joab nods, “It is a honor, my lord.”

Asahel, “Thank you, sir.”

They bow and go sit by the fire. My other sister comes up to me with a young man. They bow.

I wonder, “Abigail, my sister, what can I do for you?”

“This is Amasa. He is my only son. He would like to join you.”

“You may.”

Amasa smiles and raises his head, “Thank you, sir. I will serve you well.”

They go and sit down.

I go to the side and sing, Psalm 12 “Help, Lord, for the godly man ceases; for the faithful fail from among the children of men. They speak foolishly with their neighbors; with flattering lips and with a double heart do they speak. The Lord will cut off all flattering lips and the tongue that speaks proud things. Who has said, "With our tongue we'll prevail; our lips are our own; who is lord over us?" For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, now will I arise, says the Lord; I will set him in safety from him who puffs at him. The word of the Lord is pure, as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. You shall keep them, oh Lord; you shall preserve them from this generation forever. The wicked walk on every side when the vilest men are exalted.”

Everyone sits by the fire. My brother Shimeah comes up to me with his son. They bow.

“Shimeah, what do you need?”

“My son Jonathan would also like to join you.”

I nod, “Yes.” The name reminds me of Prince Jonathan.

Jonathan speaks, “Thank you, sir.”

They sit.

I look at my father as he sits with my mother, “How are you, Father?”

“Good, now that I know that we are all well.”

“Who is taking care of the sheep?”

“Our neighbor.”

Eliab speaks up, “David, Shammah is coming here. He has been unhappy with Saul, and wants to join you. He should be here soon.”

“It will be good to see him.”

“You know him?” Abinadab inquires.

“Yes. He worked under me when I was the commander of the troops.”

(We do not know all that joined David when and where, only some are told of. These join for the making of the story.) I see Shammah, Eleazar, and Adino come into the cave behind my family. I get up and go to them. “I am glad to see you.”

Shammah answers, “We are glad to see you.”

We sit by the fire.

Eleazar repeats what Eliab had said earlier, “Saul is ranting and raving. He's bent on finding you.”

“I know.”

Adino adds, “I heard him cursing you in his tent. He wants you dead. But we're not going to let that happen.”

“He can curse all he wants, but if God is for us, he can't change a thing. We are in God's hands.”

After a week of looking for a place for my parents to stay, I walk with my mother and father in the streets of Mizpeh of Moab. My life is in danger and I have found a way to protect them from Saul using them to get to me. I explain to them, “The king in this town of Mizpeh has said he will keep you safe. So I am leaving you here for your protection.”

My mothers eyes are full of tears as she speaks, “Did you do something that makes King Saul want you dead?”

“No, Mother. I have never done anything to him except good.”

“Then why is he hunting you down to take away your life?”

“That is what I will ask him.”

My father adds, “If he asks you to come back with him, don't. He doesn't keep his word.”

“I will not.”

“David, God bless you for being so good to us.”

“You're my parents and I love you.”

“We love you too.”

We hug and then we go on to the castle.

Back deep in the cave I am back with my men and there is a lot of them. I sit with Joab, Abishai, Asahel, Amasa, Jonathan my nephew, Adino, Shammah, and Eleazar and I speak, “Now, each of you are captains. You can lead your men. Here is the list of men under you.” I hand them each a paper. They each take it and bow. “Men, we will work together and do great acts for God and Israel.”

Gad the prophet comes into the cave and approaches me.

“Gad, what is it?”

“God has said for you to go to Judah.”

“Thank you, and the Lord bless you.” I stand, and a boy beside me blows the horn. The men in the camp stop talking and look at me. “Men, get your things. We are going to Judah.”

Joab speaks to me, “But Saul is in Judah!”

“The Lord sent us there so we are going where the Lord leads.”

They all start grabbing their things as I go toward my bag.

In the Forest of Hereth in Judah I sit by the fire on the cold day with Adino, Eleazar, and Shammah.

I ask, “What are the men saying about Saul?”

Eleazar answers, “I heard a man tell about that he has been taxed to the point of losing his land.”

Shammah adds, “Some of the men have left the army, because Saul has been sending them to battle to kill the Gideonites.”

I fume inside as I hear what Saul is doing, “Our Fathers made a covenant with them not to kill them.”

Adino speaks, “Saul is breaking the covenant. He has been trying to wipe them off the face of the earth.”

“God hates it when we break our covenants.”

Shammah “That is why some of them are leaving the army. They know God's law.”

Everyone gets quiet as I grab my harp and sing, Psalm 94 “Oh Lord God to whom vengeance belongs, oh God, to whom vengeance belongs, show yourself. Lift up yourself, you judge of the earth; render a reward to the proud. Lord, how long shall the wicked triumph? How long shall they utter and speak hard things and all the workers of iniquity boast? They break your people in pieces , oh Lord, and afflict your heritage. They slay the widow and the stranger, and murder the Fatherless. Yet they say, "The Lord shall not see, neither shall the God of Jacob pay attention to it." Understand, you stupid among the people, and you fools. When will you be wise? He who plants the ear, shall he not hear? He who forms the eye, shall he not see? He who punishes the heathen, shall he not correct? He who teaches man knowledge, shall he not know? The Lord knows the thoughts of man, that they are empty. Blessed is the man whom you chasten, oh Lord, and teach him out of your law that you may give him rest from the days of adversity, until the pit be dug for the wicked. For the Lord will not cast off his people, neither will he forsake his inheritance. But judgment shall return to righteousness, and all the upright in heart shall follow it. Who will rise up for me against the evildoers? Who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity? Unless the Lord had been my help, my soul had almost dwelt in silence. When I said, "My foot slips," your mercy, oh Lord, helped me up. In the multitude of my thoughts within me, your comforts delight my soul. Shall the throne of iniquity have fellowship with you, which frames mischief by a law? They gather themselves together against the soul of the righteous and condemn the innocent blood. But the Lord is my defense and my God is the rock of my refuge. He shall bring upon them their own iniquity and shall cut them off in their own wickedness; yes, the Lord our God shall cut them off.”

Ahimelech’s son Abiathar runs into camp with his clothes torn and out of breath.

I look at Abiathar and ask, “Abiathar, what happened?”

“Saul brought my family to him and was angry at my father for feeding you and giving you Goliath's sword. He asked his men to kill my family. They wouldn't do it. So Doeg did it. I am the only one who escaped. Then they went to my hometown and killed all the women and children.”

My heart falls to the floor as I kick the air and punch my fist into my hand as I look into the distance I repent, “I knew it! When I saw Doeg there, I knew he would tell Saul. Now I have caused the death of all of your Father's family.” I look at Abiathar and continue, “Stay here with me, and I'll protect you with my own life. Any harm to you will be over my dead body.” With tears running down my face, I leave my men and sit to the side of the camp. There I cry, “Oh God, my God, Doeg is wicked. He kills your servants without regard for you. Oh Lord, take revenge upon him. He is against you.” I pause as I swallow and breathe, “Ahimelech was a good man. He served you, and his family served you. They didn't deserve what Doeg did to them.” I grab my harp and sing through the tears, Psalm 52 “Why boast in mischief, oh mighty man? The goodness of God endures continually. Your tongue plans destruction like a sharp razor, working deceitfully. You love evil more than good, and lying rather than speaking righteousness. Selah.” I pause as I think about the way that the wicked man’s tongue is so evil, “ You love all devouring words, oh you deceitful tongue. God shall likewise destroy you forever; he shall take you away and pluck you out of your dwelling place and root you out of the land of the living. Selah.” I pause and think of God’s judgement upon the wicked, “The righteous also will see and fear, and shall laugh at him. Lo, this is the man who made not God his strength, but trusted in the abundance of his riches and strengthened himself in his wickedness. But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God; I trust in the mercy of God forever and ever. Because you have done it, I will praise you for ever, and I will wait on your name, for it is good before your saints.”

The Sweet Psalmist
All on one thread!

Last edited by Serena; 12-03-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:19 PM

Chapter 8
Keilah
Samuel 23:1-18

Days go by and many men have joined me. I sit with Amasa by a fire as he talks, “The men are talking. They hate Saul and want him dead. Some of them owe Saul taxes. Others hate what he had Doeg do to Ahimelech's family.”

“I know. God will do the judgment, I will not hurt the Lord’s anointed. We have to wait on the Lord.”

“Some are bringing their families to get away from Saul.”

“Saul is not just hurting me; he is hurting many good people.” I grab my harp and sing, Psalm 63 “Oh God, you are my God; early will I seek you, my soul thirsts for you, my flesh longs for you in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is. To see your power and your glory, so I have seen you in the sanctuary. Because your loving kindness is better than life, my lips will praise you. Thus will I praise you while I live; I will lift up my hands in your name." I lift his hands. "My soul shall be satisfied as with the very best, and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips when I remember you upon my bed and think and rethink on you in the night watches. Because you have been my help, therefore in the shadow of your wings will I rejoice. My soul obeys you carefully; your right hand upholds me. But those who seek my soul to destroy it shall go into the lower parts of the earth. They shall fall by the sword; they shall be a portion for foxes. But the king shall rejoice in God; everyone who swears by him shall glory, but the mouth of those who speak lies will be stopped.”

A young man runs up to me, he is out of breath from running, “The Philistines are robbing the threshing floor at Keilah.”

I reply to the boy, “Stay here.”

I go straight to Abiathar the priest’s tent. I know he can ask and find out from the Lord what I should do. Abiathar is outside his tent.

I ask Abiathar, “Shall I go and attack the Philistines who are robbing the threshing floor in Keilah?”

After consulting the Lord, we wait for the Lord to reply. The Abiathar gives me the answer, “Yes, go and save Keilah.” 1 Samuel 23:2

I will not go to battle without the Lord and I knew the men’s fear of Saul, so I persist, “We’re afraid even here in Judah; we certainly don’t want to go to Keilah to fight the Philistine’s army. Will the Lord be with us?” 1 Samuel 23:3

Abiathar asks the Lord, we wait and then he replies, “Go down to Keilah, for I will help you conquer the Philistines.” 1 Samuel 23:4

I go straight to a boy with a horn and nod at him. The boy blows the horn. The people stop what they are doing and look at me.

I state, “Men, listen. The Philistines are attacking the threshing floor in Keilah. I have consulted the Lord and he has said to go save Keilah. The Lord will be with us. Grab your weapons, it is time for war! With God on our side, who can be against us?”

As I lead my men on horse through the field toward Keilah, I sing, Psalm 91"He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in him will I trust. Surely he shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the noisome pestilence. He shall cover you with his feathers, and under his wings shall you trust; his truth shall be your shield and armor. You shall not be afraid for the terror by night, nor for the arrow that flies by day, nor for the epidemic that walks in darkness, nor for the destruction that destroys at noonday. A thousand shall fall at your side and ten thousand at your right hand, but these things shall not come nigh you. With your eyes shall you behold and see the reward of the wicked. Because you have made the Lord my refuge, even the most High, your habitation, no evil shall befall you, neither shall any plague come nigh your dwelling. For he shall give his angels charge over you, to keep you in all your ways. They shall hold you up in their hands lest you dash your foot against a stone. You shall tread upon the lion and adder; the young lion and the dragon shall you trample under foot. Because he has set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him. I will set him on high because he has known my name. He shall call upon me, and I will answer him. I will be with him in trouble. I will deliver him and honor him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation.”

After we conquer the Philistines, we return their cattle, and Keilah is saved. The men of Keilah have asked us to stay, so our wives and children are all with us in Keilah. I am siting at a table some weeks later, thinking about all that the Lord has done for us. There’s loud knock at the door, so I open to see Amasa with a strong man looking at me. Amasa speaks, “This man would like to join you with his men.”

I look at him as he speaks, “I am Beniah, the son of Jehoiada. May my men and I join you?”

I answer, “Come in and we can talk.”

Beniah bows and comes in with Amasa.

I ask, “Why do you want to join me?”

“You fight for God and you do God’s battles. We know that God is with you and we want to fight with you.”

I smile, “You may join.”

“Thank you, my lord.” Beniah bows.

“Let’s go for a walk.”

We walk out of the house together.

Amasa states, “He killed a lion in a pit.”

I ask, “What happened?”

“It was on a snowy day. I saw a lion and I followed it to a pit. The lion fell into the pit and couldn’t get out. It jumped and tried to escape, but the pit was too deep. Then I took a rope and held as I waited for the lion to jump again. As the lion went back down into the pit I jumped in after him and killed him with my spear.”
2 Samuel 23:20b

I reply, “I am impressed.”

Joshebbasshebeth form Tahchemon, also know as Adino the Eznite. He killed eight hundred in this battle with the Philistines. He came up to me and reports, “Saul knows that you are here, and he is planning to come here to destroy Keilah because you are here.”

“Amasa, take care of Beniah, I am going to Abiathar to seek the Lord’s word. I quickly walk as Adino follows me.

At Abiathar’s dwelling I ask, “O Lord God of Israel, I have heard that Saul is planning to come destroy Keilah because I am here. Will the men of Keilah surrender me to Him? And will Saul actually come, as I have heard? O Lord God of Israel, please tell me.” 1 Samuel 23:10-11

We wait for the Lord’s reply, and then Abiathar states, “The Lord says he will come.” 1 Samuel 23:11

I persist, “And will these men of Keilah betray me to Saul.” 1 Samuel 23:12

We wait again for the Lord’s reply and then Abiathar reports, “The Lord says, Yes, they will betray you.” 1 Samuel 23:12

I then say, “We are going now. Grab your belongings.” Abiathar quickly starts getting packed and I leave with Adino.

In the streets I quickly walk with Adino.

“Hurry, and make sure everyone knows we are leaving.”

I keep walking quickly as Adino goes to tell everyone. I sing, Psalm 70 “Make haste, oh God, to deliver me; make haste to help me, oh Lord. Let them be ashamed and confounded that seek after my soul. Let them be turned backward and put to confusion that desire my hurt. Let them be turned back for a reward of their shame who say, "Aha, aha." Let all those who seek you rejoice and be glad in you, and let such as love your salvation say continually, "Let God be magnified." But I am poor and needy. Make haste to me. Oh God, you are my help and my deliver. Oh Lord, make no tarrying.”

Soon I leave Keilah with two hundred more men. Joab and I ride out of the city on our horses, and the six hundred men with their families follow us.

Joab states, “David, we came here with a hundred men. Now six hundred men are with us.”

I sing, Psalm 143"Hear my prayer, oh Lord, give ear to my requests; in your faithfulness answer me, and in your righteousness. And enter not into judgment with your servant, for in your sight shall no man living be justified. For the enemy has persecuted my soul. He has smitten my life down to the ground. He has made me to dwell in darkness, as those who have been long dead. Therefore is my spirit overwhelmed within me. My heart is desolate. I remember the days of old. I meditate on all your work. I think on the work of your hands. I stretch forth my hands to you. My soul thirsts after you as a thirsty land. Selah. (pause) Hear me speedily, oh Lord. My spirit fails. Hide not your face from me, lest I be like to those who go down into the pit. Cause me to hear your loving kindness in the morning, for in you do I trust. Cause me to know the way wherein I should walk, for I lift up my soul to you. Rescue me, oh Lord, from my enemies. I flee to you to hide me. Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; your spirit is good; lead me to the land of uprightness. Revive me, oh Lord, for your name's sake. For your righteousness' sake bring my soul out of trouble. Of your mercy cut off my enemies, and destroy all those who afflict my soul, for I am your servant.”

We go into the countryside and roam. As we are roaming we finally find a place to hide for a while. It is in the caves of the wilderness of Ziph. I met Prince Jonathan the son of king Saul in Horesh one day.

Prince Jonathan exclaims, “Oh David, it is so good to see you again.” We hug and then face each other as we talk.

I reply, “I have missed you.”

Prince Jonathan states, “We had great times didn’t we?”

I answer, “Yea, we did. “ I feel so sad, oh how I miss the good times.

“Remember when you left Keilah before my father could get there?”

“Yes. That was not long ago.”

“My father was working on the taxes in the dining room. He had one vase on the table filled with taxes owed and he was pacing the floor by the table. Abner came in and asked, ‘What is the matter?’ My father slammed his hands on the table. He was angry that you got away again. He was also angry that men have ran off with you and have not paid the taxes they owe. My father put out a bigger reward on you.”

“I have heard that your father is coming here to find me.”

Prince Jonathan reassures, “Don’t be afraid, my father will never find you! You are going to be king of Israel and I will be next to you, as my father is well aware.” 1 Samuel 23:17-18

I smile and remark, “It will be a joy with you by my side. Remember our pack.”

Prince Jonathan answers. “Yes.”

I vow, “I promise I will always treat your family with kindness.”

Prince Jonathan states, “I will yours too.” Prince Jonathan looks around and then states, “I better get back before my father sees me missing.”

I say, “God bless you.”

Prince Jonathan replies as he walks away, “God bless you, David.”

“I’d better get back before the others start worrying about me too. They don’t like me going off by myself.”

“God will protect you.”

We hug, and then Prince Jonathan leave and I to go out of town.

In the field I walk and dark clouds cover the sky. Sprinkling rain falls as the wind blows lightly. I pull my cloak tight around me because of the cold. A rock gets into my sandal and I get the rock out of my sandal before going on. I sing, Psalm 27 “The Lord is my light and my salvation. Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When the wicked, even my enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell. Though a host should encamp against me, my heart will not fear. Though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident. One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after. That I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in his temple. For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion. In the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me. He shall set me upon a rock. And now shall my head be lifted up above my enemies round about me. Therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy, and I will sing. Yes, I will sing praises to the Lord. Hear, oh Lord, when I cry with my voice. Have mercy upon me and answer me. When you say, "Seek my face," my heart says to you, "Your face, Lord, will I seek." Hide not your face from me. Put not your servant away in anger. You have been my help. Leave me not, neither forsake me, oh God of my salvation. When my Father and my Mother forsake me, then the Lord will take me up. Teach me your way, oh Lord, and lead me in a plain path because of my enemies. Deliver me not over to the will of my enemies, for false witnesses are risen up against me and such as breathe out cruelty. I would have fainted unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait on the Lord. Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen you heart. Wait, I say, on the Lord.”

The Sweet Psalmist
All on one thread!

Old 12-03-2015, 04:20 PM

Chapter 9
Too Close
1 Samuel 23:24-24:21

Now we are hiding in the wilderness of Ziph. The trees cover us as the families settle down for camp. I sit by the fire sharpening my sword. A young man comes running up to me out of breath.

I ask, “What, is it my son?”

Out of breath he answers, “Saul is coming into the wilderness to find you.”

I look up and stop sharpening my sword as I order, “Spread the word! Abiathar, stay with me.” Then I shout, “We have to go now!”

I grab my bag and people are scrambling around to grab their stuff and gather their families. Abiathar grabs his bag and ephod. He seems to shake as he follows me. We hurry deeper into the wilderness of Ziph. We go into the wilderness of Moon in the south of the desert. Deeper we go into the wilderness hoping to get far away from Saul’s army. We are hurrying through the forest and people are scared, and so am I. If Saul gets us, we’re all dead.

Suddenly a woman yells in fear, “Saul and his army are behind us!”

Terror runs through me. I am not going to hurt Saul, so my only option is to run. Saul is the Lord’s anointed, and I can not do anything that would be displeasing to my God. Saul does not care if he displeases God. He want me dead. Oh Lord help us! Saul and his army are gaining on us and we are going to all die if you do not help.

Joab runs up beside me and shouts over the roar of the crowd, “Let’s fight!”

I reply, “I am not fighting God’s anointed.” I whisper, “Oh Lord God, help us.”

Now the army is behind us and on all sides except the front. David and his people run out of the woods into a clearing with Saul and his army surrounding them. Saul is behind David's crowd with many more soldiers behind him.

Saul yells over the roar, “You can't get away!”

The army of Saul starts closing in on us, so we stop. We are completely surrounded by Saul and his army. Abiathar stands behind me, shaking. Saul rides his horse back and forth, sporting his sword as I pray, Psalm 54 “Save me, oh God, by your name, and judge me by your strength. Hear my prayer, oh God. Give ear to the words of my mouth. For strangers are risen up against me, and oppressors seek after my soul. They have not set God before them.”

We all huddle together and watch as Saul and his army come closer and closer. It was like they enjoyed to see us fear. They are all around us and moving in. Saul is smiling like he knows that he has me. Saul rides his horse back and forth, sporting his sword as I pray. Saul yells, “Now I have you, David. My son, Prince Jonathan, will be king.. You and your army will die.”

The crowd trembles and as Saul raises his sword and faces the crowd. Suddenly a young man comes up to Saul and whispers into his ear. Saul turns his horse and says, “Men, we have to go back to Jerusalem. The Philistines are attacking.”

I watch them leave as I finish singing, Psalm 54 “Behold, God is my helper; the Lord is with those who uphold my soul. He shall reward evil unto my enemies. Destroy them in your truth. I will freely sacrifice to you. I will praise your name, oh Lord, for it is good. For he has delivered me out of all trouble, and my eye has seen his desire upon my enemies.”

Jonathan my nephew states, “This is the Rock of Divisions.”

I look around and see a large boulder. I smile as I state, “This rock can remind us of our God who is the Rock of Escape.”

We find a camp inside a cave and I sit close to the entrance of the cave. Saul and his army are waiting at the entrance. Joab and Amasa come up behind me. I put up my finger to my mouth and motion to stay down, I sing softly, Psalm 109 “Hold not your peace, oh God of my praise, for the mouth of the wicked and the mouth of the deceitful are opened against me. They have spoken against me with a lying tongue. They compassed me about with words of hatred and fought against me without cause. For my love they are my adversaries, but I give myself to prayer. They have rewarded me evil for good and hatred for my love. Set a wicked man over him, and let Satan stand at his right hand. When he shall be judged, let him be condemned, and let his prayer become sin. Let his days be few, and let another take his office. Let his children be fatherless and his wife a widow. Let his children be continually vagabonds and beg. Let them seek their bread out of their desolate places. Let the extortioner catch all that he has, and let strangers spoil his labor. Let there be none to extend mercy to him. Neither let there be any to favor his Fatherless children. Let his posterity be cut off, and in the generation following let their name be blotted out. Let the iniquity of his Fathers be remembered with the Lord, and let not the sin of his Mother be blotted out. Let them be before the Lord continually, that he may cut off the memory of them from the earth because he remembered not to show mercy, but persecuted the poor and needy, that he might slay the broken in heart. As he loved cursing, so let it come to him. As he delighted not in blessing, so let it be far from him. As he clothed himself with cursing like his garment, so let it come to his bowels like water, and like oil into his bones. Let it be to him as the garment covers him, and for a girdle wherewith he is girded continually. Let this be the reward of my adversaries from the Lord, and of those who think harm against my soul. Do for me, oh God the Lord, for you name's sake. Because your mercy is good, deliver me. For I am poor and needy, and my heart is wounded within me. I am gone like the shadow when it declines; I am tossed up and down like the locust. My knees are weak through fasting, and my flesh fails of fatness. I became a reproach to them, when they looked on me, they shook their heads. Help me, oh Lord my God. Oh save me according to your mercy that they may know that this is your hand, that you, Lord, have done it. Let them curse, but you bless. When they arise, let them be defeated, but let your servant rejoice. Let my adversaries be clothed with shame and let them cover themselves with their own confusion as with a mantle. I will greatly praise the Lord with my mouth. Yes, I will praise him among the multitude. For he shall stand at the right hand of the poor, to save him from those who condemn his soul.”

We watch from on high in the cave. Saul comes in and lays his robe on a rock. Then he goes around the wall of the cave into the darkness.

Joab states, “Now is your time. Today is the day the Lord was talking about when he said, ‘I will certainly put Saul into your power, to do with as you wish.’ Go ahead and kill him.” 1Samuel 24:4-5

I creep down closer and closer to where Saul’s robe is and then I cut off the bottom of Saul’s robe. As I go back to my men I feel guilty for doing this. I remember being taught not to hurt the Lord’s anointed, for God takes that personally. I arrive back to my men and Joab and Amasa have their swords out and look ready to go down themselves. I repent, “I shouldn’t have done it. It is a serious sin to attack God’s chosen king in any way.” 1 Samuel 24:6

They put their swords back in their sheaths.

I watch Saul grab his robe and leave the cave. I wait a minute and head toward the cave entrance.

Joab whispers sharply, “Don’t go!

I go out behind Saul and stand at the cave entrance. He was twenty yards away. I shout, “My lord the king.” 1 Samuel 24:7-8

Saul turns around, and I bow.

I shout, “Why do you listen to the people who say that I am trying to harm you? This very day you have seen that is not true. The Lord placed you at my mercy back there in the cave and some of my men told me to kill you, but I spared you. For I said, ‘I will never harm him, he is the Lord’s chosen king.” I lift up in the air the piece of his robe I had cut off, and I continued, “See, what I have in my hand? It is the hem of your robe!” Saul examines his robe as I kept talking, “I cut it off, but I didn’t kill you! Doesn’t this convince you that I am not trying to harm you and that I have not sinned against you, even though you have been hunting my life. The Lord will decide between us. Perhaps he will kill you for what you are trying to do to me, but I will never harm you. As the old proverb says, ‘Wicked is as wicked does,’ but despite your wickedness I’ll not touch you. And who is the king of Israel trying to catch, anyway? Should he spend his time chasing one who is a worthless as a dead dog or a flea. May the Lord judge as to which of us is right and punish whichever one of us is guilty. He is my lawyer and defender, and He will rescue me from your power!” 1 Samuel 24:12-16

Saul calls back, “Is it really you, my son David?” Saul began to cry, “You are a better man than I am, for you have repaid me good for evil. Yes, you have been wonderfully kind to me today, for when the Lord delivered me into your hands, you didn’t kill me. Who else in all the world would let his enemy get away when he had him in his power? May the Lord reward you well for the kindness you have shown me today. And now I realize that you are surely going to be king. Oh, swear to me by the Lord that when that happens you will not kill my family and destroy my line of descendants!” 1 Samuel 24:18-21

I know God’s law, and I know that in every kingdom that is what kings do. They kill everyone that is related to the previous king. But I also know that God would not want me to do such. So I reply, “I promise by my own life that I will not kill your descendants.”

I go back into the cave, and Saul softly speaks in a defeated voice, “Men we are going back to the Jerusalem.”

Saul and his men leave, and I go deep into the cave. There I sit by the fire and play the harp and sing, Psalm 28 “Unto you will I cry, oh Lord my rock. Be not silent to me, lest if you be silent to me, I become like those who go down into the pit. Hear the voice of my supplication when I cry to you, when I lift up my hands toward your holy oracle. Draw me not away with the wicked, and with the workers of iniquity, who speak peace to their neighbors, but evil is in their hearts. Give them according to their wickedness of their endeavors. Give them after the work of their hands. Render to them their dessert. Because they regard not the works of the Lord, nor the operation of his hands, he shall destroy them and not build them up. Blessed be the Lord, because he has heard the voice of my pleadings. The Lord is my strength and my shield. My heart trusts in him, and I am helped. Therefore, my heart greatly rejoices, and with my song will I praise him. The Lord is their strength, and he is the saving strength of his anointed. Save your people, and bless your inheritance. Feed them also, and lift them up forever.”

-----------------------

This is probably the most scarey time of running from Saul. Being totally surrounded and no where to go. Praise the Lord! The Lord delivers out of trouble. The Lord sent the Philistines to go against Jerusalem and make Saul quit his conquest of David. David's life was spared again.

For us, we need to be just like David. Totally trusting in the Lord, going to the Lord with all our needs. Staying out of sin and following everything the Lord says. Do and say what the Lord says to do and say. Just like Jesus said that he only does what he sees his Father do and say. Seek the Lord with your whole heart and you will be in his shelter, just like David was in the Lord's shelter. God is my refuge, He is my butler, He is my defense. There is none like Him. Praise the Lord for his wonderful works to the children of men.

The Sweet Psalmist
All on one thread!